If the grass is always greener on your neighbor’s side of the fence, chances are your lawn care regimen needs fine-tuning. A pristine lawn is the first thing people notice about a property. The right landscaping and lawn care can sell your home faster or get you a higher price. Here are some simple projects to improve your lawn’s health and add value to your property.
Florida Lawn Care 101
The care your grass needs depends a lot on the weather and geography of where you live. In the Sunshine State, basic lawn care can be broken down into four fundamentals.
- Know your grass type. Different grasses require different care.
- Have a watering plan. Experts recommend watering according to your lawn’s needs rather than a strict schedule.
- Be aware of watering regulations. Some municipalities have rules in place that limit when and how much you can water your lawn.
- Mow to the right height. Centipede grass can be mowed much shorter than Bahia or St. Augustine.
“Into every life, a little rain must fall.” And into every lawn, some little pests will crawl! Florida homeowners deal with unwanted visitors you won’t find in other parts of the country. How many folks in New England have ever had to deal with an iguana problem? There are products on the market to help homeowners handle everything from fire ants to armadillos. But not all offer the same level of effectiveness. Your local Terminix exterminator or professional landscaper are incredible resources. And since these critters can cause costly damage, consulting a pro when you first notice a problem might save you a bundle in the long run.
MVPs (Most Valuable Projects)
We know good landscaping can raise your home’s value. But deciding how to best spend your landscaping dollars can be difficult. There are many worthwhile projects folks in Florida might consider. Our favorites offer a mix of functionality, aesthetics, and return on investment:
- Use a Professional Lawn Service – Standard lawn care includes mowing, edging, and trimming. Fertilizing and weeding is also essential. This is one of the least expensive and most impactful of all outdoor projects. Even if you enjoy maintaining your lawn yourself, many other services are best left to local lawn care professionals. For example, in Florida fertilization and most landscape construction jobs require a license.
- Focus on Curb Appeal – Shade trees, flowering shrubs, and an upgraded walkway will make a big difference in a property’s appearance. They also entice would-be buyers and offer an excellent return on investment.
- A Gathering Space – Decks, patios, fire pits, and outdoor kitchens are perfect for any homeowner who likes to entertain. They are also features that motivate buyers and make theirhttps://www.pxfuel.com/en/free-photo-elumy property memorable. If you’ve already got an outdoor gathering space, a little money spent on improvements can yield big returns.
- Seed or Sod – A thick, healthy lawn makes a lasting impression. You may be able to get away with overseeding a thinning lawn. But laying new sod is the preferred (albeit more expensive) way to upgrade grass. In a matter of hours, you can have a completely new lawn. And since your front yard occupies such a prominent space, this is an investment where you — and anyone else who happens by — will notice the results.